Buying / Selling A Business
6 steps to selling or transferring your business ownership for maximum value
As business transition planning specialists, we provide knowledge, solutions and a process for transferring business wealth to owners of privately-held companies.
What’s In It For You?
While working or at the time you exit business wealth is transferable to you. Is it best to wait and take it all at the time of sale? That makes the timing of the sale absolutely critical. The planning required to determine whether to take it now or take it later must be addressed well before the actual exit date. Tax considerations often play a key role in deciding the methods that work best for you.
Your Exit Strategy Is Becoming A Priority
More sellers than buyers! The number of entrepreneurs approaching the age of retirement (ages 55-64) has been increasing over the past few years. Statistics indicate that most private businesses today will be closed, sold or turned over to others by 2015!
Back to top
Why Do So Many Business Owners Neglect To Plan For Their Business Transition?
Most common reasons given:
- Don’t know who to turn to
- No time to deal with the issue
- Can’t find adequate advice to start
- Too complex to deal with
- Don’t want to think about leaving
- Conflicts with family members or key employees
You have built your business into what is your most significant asset. Most likely you’re unsure what it’s actually worth to someone else. You’ve grown it and strategically adapted the business to the marketplace. Now is the time to secure the future for you, your family, and your company.
Our services are affordable for all businesses, large and small, and are just as necessary for business of 10 persons as it is for a
multi-million dollar business with 500 employees.
For most owners the time to start planning is three to five years from their planned exit date. Preparing your exit strategy now can save you time, money, worry, and inevitable family conflicts later on down the road.
You are seeking help in working through tough decisions about who you wish to ultimately transfer business ownership to. Whether its family, employees, third parties. Staying on versus getting right out. Finding a successor so you can work less hours and spend on the more important issues of the business rather than the day to day details.
Business Owners Who Plan Their Transition Will Experience Extraordinary Benefits. Some Of The Benefits Are :
- Peace of mind knowing this important task is being professionally addressed utilizing the owner’s leadership
- Defines the time frame in which transition could occur
- Minimization of future tax liabilities
- Provides opportunity to develop family harmony in common
- Assisted in preparing their successor for the future
- Valued employees
- Increased business value
Is This Your Definition Of Your Business Transition Success?
- At the time of the owner’s choosing
- In accordance with the owner’s wishes for the future ownership of the business.
- For value that is satisfactory to the owner in conjunction with his / her wealth objectives.
How Much Is Your Business Worth?
What are the components of your business that drive value? Is it assets that you can touch and feel or is it the systems, processes, people and activities of the business that provide real value. We’ll help you unlock the value you’ve created. You will see the buyer’s side clearly in order to gain an appreciation of how to position your business for its sale.
What Is The 6 Step Process?
- What do you want to achieve from the exit? What are your objectives?
- What is the personal and family situation and what are the transition planning issues?
- Where is the business at today and what does it take to reach its potential?
- What is the desired transition plan to meet your objectives
- What is the plan for transitioning the business?
- How do we manage the sale or transfer of the business?
FM ACCOUNTANTS specializes in working with privately owned businesses to improve their performance by replacing assumptions and gut-feelings with fact-based research, and expert analysis.
We bring you the advantage of our local knowledge and expertise combined with the experience of hundreds of qualified consultants in our offices around the world, and the benefits of their expertise in every type of industry or engagement.
Transition planning is part of our commitment to providing our clients with complete business solutions. Your personal and business needs are intertwined, so your transition plan requires an integrated approach.
We can help simplify a complex process by providing a structured business transition process. And, while the process is methodical, the application is personal. Your plan will be fully customized to meet your unique circumstances and objective.